Monday, May 20, 2013

PCT catch-up blog Part 2

Woke up at the Acton KOA this morning. I slept like a baby last night, about nine hours of sleep despite the roaring lions in the distance. About half a mile from the campground is a wild game preserve, which has some big kitties. Anyway, I cowboy camped last night, and it was the best outdoor sleep I've had in my entire life.

Today I am at Sandy's Coin Wash in Lancaster, doing the laundry and excited to head out to Acton to do some trail magic. It was 74 degrees at 7:30 am...it's going to be a warm one and those hikers are going to need a gatorade when they hit Soledad Canyon road.

Back to Lake Morena - I left Lake Morena campground on day 2 of the hike. It was exciting because I didn't know where I would end up that night. I drove out to Highway 8 and got cell phone coverage. I had a message from Magic Man - we'd met him in Seattle during the road trip - offering me a place to stay for the night at his rented cabin in Mt. Laguna!

I met several hikers that day, including Hedgehog and Boo Boo. Boo Boo is Magic Man's daughter and Hedgehog is her boyfriend. Magic Man not only got me a place to stay, he took me to dinner in Julian! A well-earned reputation for that Magic Man. (Try, try, try to understaaaaaaand...)

The official kickoff weekend came up quickly and I got an email from Pukie and Voodoo Cheese, two hikers from Louisiana that I'd met at Lake Morena. I picked them up at Scissors Crossing at 9 am to bring them back to Lake Morena for KO, planning on returning at noon to pick up the girls - but the girls got to Scissors Crossing EARLY, as usual! They hitched into Julian and I met them at Mom's Pies.

Next time - Kickoff, and a real BENDer...

No comments:

Post a Comment